New York’s Best Betting Sites
THE INS AND OUTS: NEW YORK SPORTS BETTING
New York Betting History
New York launched legal online sports wagering in January 2022. Since then the state has become the biggest sports betting state in terms of monthly handle. You can bet online from anywhere in New York, and also in-person at New York casinos. In-person wagering has been allowed since 2019, one year after the fall of PASPA, which prohibited wagering of any kind in the United States. In the beginning of 2021, NY lawmakers included online sports betting in the state budget bill, which was signed into law by Gov. Andrew Cuomo just a few months later. Within the first 30 days of legal online sports betting, New York’s mobile sportsbooks took nearly $2 billion in bets, and netted $138.5 million in betting revenue for books.
New York Legal Betting Updates
- Similar to other states that have recently passed online gambling legislation, in-state college sports are not allowed to be wagered on, but virtually every other sport imaginable is available for betting.
- There is a short list of operators that do business in New York, due to strict licensing parameters, and a high tax rate of 51% on gross gambling revenue. When online sports betting launched on January 8th, 2022, four apps went live, and there have been 5 operators that have launched since.
New York’s Legal Sportsbooks
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- New accounts can get a $50 bonus bet when they make an initial deposit of $5 or more. Additionally, there is a 20% deposit match up to $1,000! To take full advantage of this promo, a new customer could make a $5,000 deposit to get the maximum bonus bet in the amount of $1,000. It is important to know that there is a play-through requirement associated with these bonus funds: for every $25 played on DraftKings Sportsbook, the user will have $1 in bonus funds released into their account. The play-through requirement must be met in 90 days from the date of your initial deposit to receive the maximum bonus
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- FanDuel offers a no sweat first bet up to $1,000 on initial bets for new customers. FanDuel will match your stake amount in the form of bonus bets if your first wager is graded as a loss. It is vital to realize that bonus bets are not equivalent to cash, and you will only keep the winnings on any wagers made using bonus bets. Customers will have to forfeit any unused portion of their bonus if it is not used within 14 days of being claimed.
- BetMGM has historically had a welcome offer of up to a $1,000 risk-free initial wager, but they have currently paused this offer in New York. The deal is still ongoing for other states that allow BetMGM Sportsbook. BetMGM does offer a referral program in New York, but it has stipulations of its own. The new user and the user that sent the referral will each get a $50 bonus, but the new user has to play through their bonus within 30 days for the existing user to see their end of the referral bonus.
- Caesars Sportsbook
- Caesar’s has arguably the most enticing welcome offer in the state of New York, with a $1,500 risk-free bet on initial deposits for new customers. The risk-free bet is straightforward, new users have 30 days from opening an account to place their initial wager, and if it loses, they then have 14 days to use any credit they receive.
- New bettors can claim a $250 deposit match bonus offer, with just a 1x rollover requirement! Any bonus funds received from this deposit match offer must be played through before any funds can be withdrawn. This offer is obviously not as appealing as the other operators in the state in regards to the amount of free bets you can receive, but the 1x playthrough requirement makes it an enticing option for new players.
- NY players can use code BETBONUS to receive up to $2,000 in risk-free wagers. The bonuses are broken into a risk-free fixed odds bet of up to $500, and a risk-free PointsBetting bet of up to $1,500. Pointsbetting is a unique way to wager that allows for a bettor to win or lose based on the outcome of the game that goes further than a traditional moneyline, spread, or total bet. Winnings and losses can be amplified because of the unique structure of PointsBetting, so be sure to do some research on this model of wagering before diving in head-first.
- Bally Bet became the 9th operator to go live in New York in July of 2022. While Bally Bet offers welcome bonuses in other states where it operates, there is currently no welcome offer in New York at this time. Bally Bet prides itself on its customer service, as well as its unique trophy system that allows players to gain rewards from placing bets.
- WynnBet offers a welcome bonus on the smaller end of the scale, simply make a $10 deposit and place a wager on anything with -120 odds or greater. If the wager hits or pushes, the new player will get $200 split up into 4 free bets. If the bettor wins the welcome promotion, they need to wait upwards of 21 days to receive their entire reward. The first $50 free bet is given within 72 hours of the initial wager settlement, and the other bets are given out in 7-day increments from that point.
- Resorts World Bet
- Resorts World was one of the later operators to enter the state of New York, and offers a risk-free bet of up to $500 for new registrants. While they currently have no other promotional offers, this will likely change as they establish themselves in the New York sports betting market
In addition to the above, NY sports betting apps usually feature a loyalty or rewards program. The programs are often tied to retail perks and offers. For every dollar you wager, you receive a certain number of points. These points are used to determine your placement within a tiered ranking system. Caesars Rewards and iRush Rewards (BetRivers) are examples of loyalty programs that work both online and offline.
What can you bet on in New York?
New York offers a wide range of sports and bet types.The only things that cannot be bet on are in-state college teams, such as Syracuse, Army, St. John’s, and Buffalo University. Additionally, if there is a collegiate sporting event hosted in the state of New York, residents of the state will not be allowed to legally wager on it. Examples of these events include the neutral-site basketball games, such as the annual Big East Tournament, the Atlantic 10 Tournament, and select March Madness games. Below is a list of sports and teams that can be legally wagered on in New York:
- Football- NFL & CFL games
- Basketball- NBA, WNBA, European/International games
- Baseball- MLB
- Hockey- NHL, International games
- Soccer- MLS, English Premier League, UEFA Champions League
- College sports- NCAA football and basketball games (with the exception of New York state teams)
- Golf- PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, PGA European events
- Motorsports- NASCAR, F1, IndyCar
- Professional Fighting- MMA, select boxing matches
- Tennis- ATP Tour, WTA Tour
- Rugby- Rugby Union
Professional Sports teams in New York
MLB- New York Yankees, New York Mets
NFL- New York Giants, New York Jets
NHL- New York Rangers, New York Islanders
NBA- New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets
WNBA- New York Liberty